Re: artist-teacher

---------

From: Mark Alexander (malexander06_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Feb 13 2002 - 20:42:55 PST

Just had to respond that I am a male artist/art teacher who has had to put
art making aside due to the responsibities of being a parent (for the most
part a single custodial parent) as well as making a living. Fortunately I am
now presiding over an empty nest so things have improved a lot, but
parenting responsibilities on occasion continue to compromise art making
time and energy, even after they've grown up and moved out. However, I have
experienced family jealousy about my art making: "Why should you get a room
to yourself just because you call yourself an artist?" and "There are a lot
of things to do around the house, so your art work should wait until after
it's all done" and "You can't buy that drawing paper, because the electric
bill is due"
Mark