Re: Curriculum- pride of ownership?

---------

From: Michelle H. Harrell (michelle_h_harrell_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Feb 13 2002 - 19:18:21 PST

Okay, I get the basic premise behind what both Patty and Cathy are saying
but I don't think they understand the intentions of whoever first asked for
curriculum help. It's like everything we discuss here on the listserv.
We've all spent a great deal of time developing curriculum, lessons, units,
and even research papers and wouldn't want to just give that away without
due credit. I too have shared my thesis, literature review, and countless
lessons with the understanding that the user wouldn't just take my name off
it and use it for their own. Maybe I'm naive or... maybe I just believe
that others are as in need of support and ideas from other art teachers (as
I am)and will greatly appreciate my help just as I've appreciated all of
your help. That's fine if you don't want to share but THANK GOD I've had all
of you to make the past 5 years of teaching yield the results of many more
years of experience! We're not passing these things around as an excuse not
to do our own- it's like gathering ideas and research before developing our
own. Michelle

Patty wrote:" The people on this list are very, very generous. And many of
them have sites with lots of information or links to the information. I
think there is much to be gained from investigation. Certainly, there is no
need to reinvent the wheel, but I would really like to see... see that
curriculum is not something to be taken as something that is "passed around"

Kathy wrote: "I agree with Patty. Something that has given me many
sleepless nights and has taken me months to research, define, format and
present, is not as easy for me to "share" -especially over the internet. I
will however be happy to share any projects, concepts, experiences, ideas
etc. Recently someone asked for help regarding a thesis they were writing. A
list member offered to send her a "hard" copy of her Master's Thesis to
review. I would like to help- but I don't think I want to give anyone that
much help. Maybe I'm just a bit selfish but I know what it took to get my
MSED and I not ready to pass out copies of my thesis! God bless that list
member. I do hope we aren't getting too lazy to do our own work. I
understand that if we don't have to re-invent the wheel -we shouldn't, but
we must not forget the "pride of OWNERSHIP!" Kathy in Kalamazoo