Queen Cluckopatra and King Cluck!

---------

From: Sandy Bacon (sbacon_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Feb 13 2002 - 17:04:35 PST

Mummification update!

The birds (cornish game hens) are in the process of becoming official
mummies! My little country school 4th grade sat with their mouths open
looking at each other like I had lost my giggy when I told them
yesterday that we were going to mummify chickens!

The cornish game hens were thawed partially by the microwave and the
rest of the way in buckets of warm water. The kids recalled and
dramatized (oh, man, how they dramatized!) the mummification process.
The squeals and giggles in this classroom were priceless! Their
expressions on their faces were hysterical! I caught in all on digital
camera, but I don't have the same program here at home or I would send
pics to you.

They got the "guts" out, washed and dried the birds thoroughly. Packed
them inside and out with salt, and doubled bagged the bad boys and
placed them in plastic wash tubs. Then, they thoroughly washed and
dried their hands and tables!

Lots of science questions asked with observations to be recorded.
Retelling and recalling of mummification info given to them by me and
researched by themselves. Each group named their own chickens and will
be responsible for telling the story of their life and death.

I will keep you posted on what happens next! I told my principal that
if she noticed an odd smell in the building, she should check the
artroom and tell the fourth graders to go change the salt. She gave me
this incredulous look and asked, "What did you do now?"

I love it!

Sandy

---