Ocean Theme Ideas

---------

From: Sandy Bacon (sbacon_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Feb 13 2002 - 16:50:06 PST

Hi, Everyone,

Today at our elementary art teachers professional development meeting
(we have an early-release day each month for professional development),
we got together to share lesson plans that we are currently working on.
A teacher I had not met before hosted the meeting and has been working
on an ocean theme. Wow, some really beautiful artwork, mostly
watercolor. Here are some of her ideas:

3rd grade: LARGE SEASHELLS!

Large (at least 18/24), good quality WC paper. She said she makes a big
deal about the cost and the materials, and the kids act like they are
professionals working with such care. She had brought in real
seashells and also enlarged black and white pictures form a seashell
coloring book. The kids were also encouraged to bring in real shells.,
These were drawn in pencil in large scale (Georgia O'Keefe style) in the
cemter of the paper. Lots of detail, but not too tiny. Next step was
to use regular crayon in the same color you would choose to watercolor
that particular area of your shell. The colors had to be all warm for
the seashell and all cool for the background, or vice versa. Next, they
watercolored the shell only. The crayon lines helped to work at
defining the areas, and gave some nice modeling from the resist effect.
Next, and this is the GORGEOPS part, she had the kids modpog over the
seashell only. On the background, they had to do wet-on-wet and bleed
the one particular color family, for example, if it was the warm family
she had them blend and bleed all colors of red, yellow, orange, pink,
red violet, etc. With the shiny surface of the seashell against the
watery background, these were beautiful! I would proudly have one
framed and above my mantel.

4th grade: Carribean/Tropical beach scene

Again, with the large good paper. Tina had a card, that showed an
island woman typical Hawaiian syle clothing, wrist flowers, walking away
from you through a tropical paradise. Tons of palm trees, vines, birds,
flowers galore, blooms everywhere, butterflies, you get the idea. This
was their inspiration piece. They then practiced sketching a figure
walking away and could choose their own foliage etc., but it had to show
very little white space. She had them lightly draw over the pencil with
a crayon and again, water color. These looked like huge impressionistic
paintings and were breathtaking! She said the kids loved working BIG!

2nd grade: Lighhouses, a study in grays.

Several different pictures of lighthouses, all shapes sizes, designs,
and angles of looking at them. Choose one as an inspiration and draw
all or part of one. 12/18 paper. Sketch in pencil and go over in gray
and black crayon. Mask out or do not paint in areas of white. Learn to
mix gray, water-down black, transparent and opague. They looked like
black and white photos!

Well, needless to say I was inspired and can't wait to try these, or at
least the techniques an apply them to my timeline theme.

I don't know if you do these type of meetings where you are, but they
are really fun. You come away energized, after sharing ideas, and
especially if you have had a good gripe session!

Today, I also got a wonderful surprise from my PTA. For all my hard
work, they gave me a generous gift certificate for dinner out! I was so
shocked, I cried...then I got embarrassed! I'm such a dork.

Hope you enjoy the ideas!
Sandy

---