re: fee for art class?

---------

From: nancy kizis (smokealarm7_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Feb 13 2002 - 15:31:24 PST

HI all,
anyone out there charge a fee for art classes?
I want to start doing this and our district is saying no it's not fair. the townspeople just last week voted NO for a bond election to repair our schools. we haven't had repairs in 30 yrs but admin.'s salaries are sky high.
i forsee that our budget(LOL) will be cut. I thought about a required supplies list but can't even get the kids to bring a #2 pencil to class.
my next thought is a fee. if a child truly has financial difficulties, of course, the fee will be waived but, something has got to change. the kids (high school) tear up our supplies and turn out crap (In the general entry level art classes). our fine arts director says we'll scare off kids and our program will be cut if we don't stop trying to "make things so hard."
i'm in texas
thanks
nancy
ps.does anyone out there have any admission requirements for entering freshman such as a mini portfolio so the art dept. in the high school can evaluate which class to put them in? we end up with such jokers in the serious classes! the crafts/fibers class and cultural arts are bursting at the seams. we end up with 504 students who have no talent in art 1 because they told their counselor they llike to draw (yeah, right, repeated anime figures over and over for the whole year). they're coming out of our jr. highs where they have been doing "Projects" for 2 yrs.
i am beyond frustrated it's spring and once again i desperately want out of teaching.

---