RE: differentiation

---------

From: Kathy Tickner (ktickner_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Feb 13 2002 - 10:08:03 PST

I will "differentiate" my lessons when the lesson calls for a "measureable
artistic" /techniques or objectives (i.e. shading, realism, print
quality....etc.), for my more gifted students, but I never "differentiate"
or place higher expectations on the "creative" more subjective portions of
the art class. It's a fine line, not perfected yet, but, it works for my
classroom, and believe it or not, through "osmosis" or the value of
"watching" my not-so-born-talented students' level will actually raise on
its own. I have taught 15 years in the middle school, and have been doing
this before "differentiation" even had a name or was a "popular"
district/administrative designation.
Kathy Tickner
Byron/Excelsior Middle School/CA