Curriculum thanks

---------

From: Christa Wise (cwise_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Feb 13 2002 - 06:24:32 PST

I have some help now. Many thanks to those who sent suggestions. I
realize that asking you for your curriculum plans was cheeky. I have been
teaching 20 years, and at this job for 7. When I came, the art department
was floudering so anything I did looked great. There was an antique
curriculum, and as head and foot of the department, I invented the new
curriculum as I went along. When I first arrived, I had five preps plus
the yearbook and the newspaper!

Now, things have settled down, BUT I still change what I teach every year
although the elements and principles, art history, criticism, and
aesthetics are always covered. Curriculum is my medium, and I work in it
the way other artists work in paint or clay. The fact that no one has ever
asked to see lesson or curriculum plans until now (largely due to some
parent agitating)does not mean that my program is fragmented, inadequate,
or disorganized. Fortunately, I am only asked to write up a very general
course outline. I will construct a skeletal plan of what I do that shows
alignment with Standards and Benchmarks. I just figured one must be in
existence somewhere that I could tweak rather than reinventing the wheel.
My guess is that we all approach the basics in our beginning classes. I
know what I do is in alignment with national standards, it just isn't in
writing.

To make this task even more odious, we have had some half-days to work on
this which always include extra "short" meetings. By the time we get back
to our desks there is little time left. I have one and a half hours to do
this later today. My guess, it won't get finished, but it will be much
easier with the help of your formats.

Thanks you for sharing. This group has always been gracious with help.

Christa

---