Re: Curriculum

---------

From: croberts (croberts_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Feb 13 2002 - 03:15:09 PST

CurriculumWhen I think of curriculum for a specific class, I think in terms of concepts...or the things that need to be taught in each class...and following in a sequence. I think these are the things that can be shared among schools and teachers...especially NEW teachers.

I have a student teacher (ours from ECU are called interns) this semester. I have to provide her with a curriculum for each class, a form for writing lesson plans, a lesson plan, and a unit plan.

How do people learn if we don't "teach" or share with them. I am willing to share with anyone...anything that I have learned in the past...because a lot of what I've learned has been through sharing with teachers with more experience.

We have two teachers in our school teaching Art 1 and I do think they both should be teaching the same concept and be teaching it about the same time. However, they have the freedom (if they wish) of coming up with their own lesson to fit the concept. And they agree with me. Math teachers do this. How many school systems provide textbooks for art classes...probably more now than several years ago...and textbooks are basically what we base our curriculum on...am I not right?

Right now, we art teachers at my school are in the process of developing a curriculum, especially for Art 1...or we will be by the end of the year.
Carolyn

  I think I never am quite sure what people want when they ask for curriculum.

---