differentiation

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Feb 12 2002 - 21:08:55 PST

AAAAAAAHHHHHHHH the latest buzz term

In the art room it means not monitoring and adjusting to individual
needs like we do every day but distinguishing the "talented " and
separating them from the rest and giving them adjusted lessons and in the
mean time
letting the less than talented know that they are not so good

I refuse
and have told all the elementary principals that this just isn't the "way of
art. "

I will never ever direct my elementary staff to do the way of
differentiation as I see it coming from administration. Little kids do not
make such distinguishes. They all think what they make is great and that's
what makes art so great, If in the directive to do differentiation, it
means the elementary staff will give opportunities to certain kids that the
others will not have , I say phooey on them.

When will administration trust our judgement and not go along with the
latest jargon?
I just intermediated with an elementary teacher who had a "question' from
her principal about differentiation. He wanted her to truly differentiate.
Ultimately that would mean that she would somehow be giving a message to
some little kids that their expression was less valuable than some others.
And she and I said no no.
Ah the jargon
ah the mis-intent

breaks my heart