Re: Penland

---------

From: linda (lwoods_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Feb 12 2002 - 20:47:45 PST

I'm sure Penland has a website. Ask for a catalogue. It was a heavenly
experience. ALthough, next time I would NOT go with a work study grant.
I don't ever want to mix work with art again under such a situation. I
want to be greedy with all of my time. It's worth the price. (Not that
much, really.) Arrowmont offers scholarships. I got one one year. They
paid my full tuition, travel expenses, room and board for two weeks. I
felt like Queen for a Day! I got this five years after I started
teaching. I had spent the first five years of my career putting ALL of my
energy into my program. Duh. Anyway, one day I woke up and wondered what
the heck had happened to my OWN creativity and artwork. The same week, an
application to apply for a scholarship appeared on my desk at work. I'll
never know where it came from. It was opened. Not in an envelope. No
note attached. I didn't open it....like twilight zone. I applied,
thinking about how I had NEVER applied for a scholarship before, who would
pick me, etc., etc. At the time, they were looking for people who were
involved in some sort of community service, someone that THEY could give
back to. I don't know if it was just because I was a teacher, or if it
was also because I worked as a relief houseparent for a year with troubled
teens, or because I had spent another year working as a volunteer with
Autistic children in a school, but they chose me. I really was stunned. I
had such an incredible time. The first time I took a raku class from Karl
Borgeson. THe second time I took a watercolor class. I went to Penland
the year after those two, and took another clay class from Stanley
ANderson. You just can't imagine how great it is to wake up every day for
two weeks in a beautiful place, have someone cook three great meals a day
for you, make a ton of new and awesome friends, not have any
responsibilities other than to your own creative soul...It's SO special.
I highly recommend one of these experiences to anyone who is "hungry" to
reconnect with their creative self. I haven't been the same since the
first one I went to. I hope to talk my husband into going to one. He'd
make a wonderful photographer. There are people there with all levels of
experience....novices to pros. WEll, I did ramble on, but I hope you get
the impression that I really LOVED these experiences.

---