Re: artist / teacher

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Feb 12 2002 - 19:09:11 PST

Boy can I relate to this! My mornings consist of wiping noses, tying shoes,
and soothing hurt feelings cause so & so said someone's drawing is ugly
(kinders), all while teaching painting and wondering what I was thinking
when I wrote THESE lesson plans. On to 4th grade where we are weaving and
some students want colors I don't have, some cannot seem to grasp the
concept that if you go under/over/under one way then you HAVE to go
over/under/over the other way. Then comes high school where some kids really
want to be there, some want an easy A and don't understand why their 5
second drawing didn't rate at LEAST a B, and some kids aren't even enrolled
in your class, all while I am teaching them how to create a clay pot that
won't blow up in the kiln. And then there's middle school to end my day -
and we don't even have to talk about what they're like! *L* And you do this
every day with a smile on your face, knowing that you will go home and spend
at least an hour reading your e-mail hoping you will learn a new technique
to make tomorrow easier or some lesson that will fire up your students. I
consider myself an artist-in-waiting (just WAIT until the kids move out,
just WAIT until spring break, etc etc!) and actually take great joy in
creating art with my students. :-)
~Michal

> I also can totally relate to Jan's thoughts. I am so zapped on Fridays!!
> If I do have "extra" time I love planning and researching for new lessons
and
> other school relateded stuff. My colleagues think I'm nuts and should not
even
> think about school when you leave. If one is teaching K-8, you need to be
> jack-of all trades in art, whereas in high school one usually is teaching
> specifics- painting , ceramics, metals. Covering a wide area really takes
up
> time. But I do agree when I need an art fix, I enjoy taking classes.
> Good Luck to all of you do the balancing act!

---