Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: MUSIC in the art room

From: Woody Duncan (wduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Feb 12 2002 - 15:07:35 PST

I play a Don McLean CD that has "Vincent" on it. I use the lyrics in
a lesson in the only non art class I teach. The kids like "American Pie"
but think it is country music. I tell them to listen to the lyrics. If they
don't mention Pick up trucks, trains, or divorce then it's not country.
I also play flute music by Carlos Nakai because we often do Native
American inspired art. But, mostly I play Jazz. It is very soothing and
seems to set a good working atmosphere for the classroom. And of
course we are going to the Jazz Museum later this month.
                                                        Woody in KC

"Hillmer, Jan" wrote:
> One of my kids' all time favorites is Bobby McFerrin - particularly the
> "Medicine Man" CD. I've used this at 2 elementary schools, quite
> diverse in populations, and in both schools, the kids beg for it.
> Often. Their favorite is the title track. My favorite might be the
> song "Discipline". A few years ago, the kid who needed to know those
> words the most was singing along. I don't think he even knew that I
> heard him. I hope maybe those words would guide him along life's path.
> Jan

                       To respond to me privately via E-mail
                           click on
 my watercolors are at