Re: MUSIC in the art room

---------

From: Stephen Wood (steve_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Feb 12 2002 - 14:41:49 PST

I run after school art clubs for 5-10yr olds, I really find that music
completely changes the mood of the space. Sometimes children bring in their
own music but often I bring in my own that they take it in turns to choose
from. I like to try to expose them to types of music they (we) may not have
heard before, it sounds pretentious but it is an art club after all. A
visit to our local library is a cheap way to take a chance on some
alternative music. I have a piece of music that I introduce as "one of the
most beautiful pieces of music in the world" I get them to close their eyes
for a couple of mins and listen to Vaugn Williams: The Lark Assending. I am
absolutely passionate about music and plan to bring in some of my old vinyl.
Harry Nillsons "Everybody's Talking" on 45 is an experience in itself. By
the way, I often turn the music off if it turns into "wallpaper" this
changes the mood again stops it being taken for granted.

Steve
U.K.

---