Re: artist / teacher

---------

From: JPeterson-Shea (jpeterso_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Feb 12 2002 - 09:46:16 PST

I also too struggle to balance prioritys : 5 wonderful kids- 3 boys, 2 girls
age range 15 mo to 10 you just have to see my computer monitor to know that
they are a big part of my life, it is plastered all around with their
pictures, (There is my proud parent bit for the day) Then of course there is
teaching, just day to day have to do things, and then there is my art which is
a have to thing too. I am finishing up my MFA with my thesis exhibition in
May. There is quite a few things that I have given up in order to do my art.
I did not renew any magazines that were not art related. I do not watch the
news, read the newspaper. I rarely do anything recreational with out my
family. My time with my family is very important. From 4-5 every afternoon
after school I work on my art and when I demo an assignement it is often
something that I can relate back to my art. I sometimes do regret the
sacrifices, but not very often. My friends know where my time needs to be
spent and understand and encourage. As to the ideas that I do not have the
time to create. I keep a sketch book of quickly drawn inspirations and hope for
the day when I get to finally realize them as I have them invisioned. For
those with no time to create I hope that your day of free time arrives soon. I
would not feel as fulfilled if I did not create.

Julie

---