artist/teacher

---------

From: Fields, Linda (fieldsl_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Feb 12 2002 - 09:30:07 PST

        Jan asked, "So, those of you
> with kids. And teaching jobs. And artwork brewing in your brain. Any
> ideas? suggestions? Helps? "

I understand completely where you're coming from. It is only now that my
kids are grown and I am beginning to divest myself of some of the many
school-related duties I've had, that I can even think about doing art of my
own. I think there is a difference between "can't do" and "don't do" when it
comes to teaching. Those who are truly involved in their teaching and the
lives of their schools participate in much more than just classroom stuff.
At the end of the day when I have taught, attended meetings, worked with
kids after school, exercised, fixed dinner, walked the dog, and gotten ready
for the next day, I am exhausted and ready for bed. I do try to do some art
reading every day or night, and I spend the limbo stage before sleeping
creating paintings in my head. I have begun to try to put more weekend time
into it, but it's still hard when I have to catch up on all the mundane
stuff that didn't get done during the week. About the only helpful hint I
can give is to sign up for a class that "forces" you to take a block of time
to create. It's about the only thing that works for me. Several art teachers
in my county met yesterday to discuss meeting monthly to critique each
others' work, do demonstrations, or provide workshops. I hope and think that
the commitment to others will help with this problem also. Linda in NC

---