Re: Art Teachers/Artists

---------

Iteachart7_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Tue Feb 12 2002 - 08:51:38 PST

In a message dated 2/11/02 11:14:38 AM Eastern Standard Time,
markcalexander@yahoo.com writes:

> The prevalent philosophy at this school included: "Don't let anything get in
> the way of your art. Do it even if it hurts. If you don't have time to make
> art, you aren't a real artist anyway." and other elitist crap.

I feel the need................
during a group discussion near the end of my senior year in college, we were
all asked what we intended to do. Many said that they would become studio
artists and many of the kids who were taking the ed classes with me stayed
silent. When I spoke up and said that I wa going to teach, some of the
"studio artists" said to the general audiance, "those who can't....teach"
Being the mouth that has brought me this far asked..."are you making the same
art you were making as a freshman? did you learn anything during your 4
years??? since the reply was obviously a yes, I stood up and yelled "THANK A
TEACHER" It felt good!

I am an Artist. I sell my work. I am in some very prominent
collections-namely my parents:) My pop is still my biggest fan! But I am a
teacher too and it is what I love. I was told then; find a job that you love
and you'll never work a day in your life! It is soooo true! Teaching art
rocks!
Peace
Gabrielle

---