RE: artist / teacher

---------

From: Sears, Ellen (ESears_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Feb 12 2002 - 08:32:15 PST

> ----------
> From: Hillmer, Jan
>

> Pam,
> I find your response interesting. One of my personal struggles, and it
> haunts me daily, is the juggling of parenthood, teaching art and
> creating art.

Yep - kind of given up on it - but I am not sure I could ever define myself
as an 'artist' anyway. Maybe my art is teaching - I seem to invest a lot of
outside time to it, significant personal growth... and I don't mean getting
stuff ready for class - or grading etc... study groups, mentoring, reading
about kids, pedagogy etc...

Every Christmas I give myself an 'art' gift - nice portfolio and sketchbook
this year. But haven't opened it yet. frustrated by not having the time to
constantly and consistently practice one art form. But I am really a
process person, not sure I could or would ever be able to produce a finished
piece of any kind. (Process Person sounds better than ADD huh?)

If you could squeeze another open moment out of my day - I am not sure what
I would do with it. Had new furniture delivered a month ago - family loves
it - soooo comfortable - wouldn't know. Haven't had the chance to use it.

Maybe the hour - hour and a half at the gym every night - but I think my
body really needs it - and I get some great thinkin done. Can't give up
the wash - really do a bad job there. Guess I could 'forget' to pick
someone up and carve some time for myself (read an article once about a lady
that had a house full of kids and a job - she would steal a minute or two
between fixing the vegetables and fixing a salad to paint... said it all
added up...).

So - no I am not a practicing artist in the sense that I think the question
asked...

Ellen

---