RE: artist / teacher

---------

From: Hillmer, Jan (hillmjan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Feb 12 2002 - 08:07:59 PST

Pam,
I find your response interesting. One of my personal struggles, and it
haunts me daily, is the juggling of parenthood, teaching art and
creating art. For the most part, the immediate needs create the
priority, and thus, the creation of my art often gets shelved for
another time. Parenting and teaching use most/all of my 'now' time, and
I cannot clear enough mental or physical time to create. It eats at me
- the 'creating' not happening - it burns at me. I grab snippets of
time and energy, but it's not really enough for me to do completed
works (I do art quilts, mostly). And yet, when I look back at the end
of my day, the kids are now and cannot wait, and the teaching is now and
cannot wait. I do try to inform myself about this dichotomy by reading
about other artists and how they handle this struggle... But lots of
them are so art-driven that they don;t even have kids. So, those of you
with kids. And teaching jobs. And artwork brewing in your brain. Any
ideas? suggestions? Helps?

Jan