Note: To protect the privacy of our members, e-mail addresses have been removed from the archived messages. As a result, some links may be broken.

Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: Myriam - please post monotype


Date: Mon Feb 11 2002 - 17:43:04 PST

Myriam I think you are actually making a transfer print with that method
whereas a monotype is usually painted onto a plate and then a print is
pulled from that. Something I have done is get free plexiglass from a
window installer or hardware store. Each student gets a plate and they do
several types of prints with it:
1. students lay objects onto the plexiglass plate to make a collograph or
blind embossed print. Use thin woodsies, matboard, twine, low profile
2. roll ink on and take some off with q-tips, pencils, etc. to make an
image which would be a subtractive print. Clean plate, I use waterbase
3. paint an image on with waterbase ink, have to work quickly, lay a piece
of string, etc. over the paint and print, that would be a monotype, or
I've heard it called an additive print. Clean plate
4. have student prepare a drawing to size, lay it under the plexiglass and
use a push pin to scratch lines. Build up shading by cross hatching, etc.
Rub ink into lines, carefully wipe plate but not so hard you clean out
lines. Use damp paper this time and pull a print. That would be an
engraving similiar to what is done on metal plates. Its not an etching
because no acid was used.

I bring in my Dick Blick etching press when I do this unit, however lots
can be done by rubbing hard with back of spoon or laying boards over
plates and standing on them too.

Finally the students can hand color some of their prints with pencil,
watercolor or whatever. Lots of use out of free plates. They learn the
terms and methods for several methods. Can you tell I love printmaking as
the students do? Doris