Re: Noise Level:

---------

MarshArt_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Mon Feb 11 2002 - 15:13:03 PST

In a message dated 2/10/02 4:52:33 PM Eastern Standard Time,
nrose757@concentric.net writes:

> i find that the teacher clap,
> the lights are just authoritative devices to impose the role of
> "authority" on others. come on, i know if i am with someone who tries to
> be an authority on me, i won't be so comforming. i think the same thing
> does for teenagers.

Beg pardon, Neal, but what is wrong with having respect for authority? I know
I have lots of authorities in my life...namely my Principal and any boss I
may work for. I respect the Law too. My parents were an authority in my life
and I didn't have a problem with it. However, abuse of the position is
another thing. I tell my students they have the right to make choices and
they will live with the consequences. I offer those choices to them but they
KNOW I am an authority figure in my classroom, I am not a "friend" and they
have respect for me and we get along great.

Marsha

---