Re: Art Teachers/Artists

---------

ARTNSOUL12_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Mon Feb 11 2002 - 14:49:13 PST

In a message dated 02/10/2002 6:43:26 PM Eastern Standard Time,
TrishGorman@msn.com writes:

> how many art teachers really wanted to be artists; but for some reason
> (afraid of failure, didn't want to be a starving artist...)became teachers
> instead.

Years ago I didn't think I was good enough to be "just" an artist- and
couldn't afford it. I also didn't do much painting then because I was
pre-occupied with raising my kids. Then, a funny thing happened in my "old
age"...I remembered how much I loved painting and started really doing a lot
of plein air. A very talented art teacher friend, who is also an exhibiting
artist and has a gallery in NYC, insisted that I was "good", loved my
paintings, and convinced me to enter some of my work in the NY State Art
Teachers' Association Juried Art Show at our conference. I was embarassed
because I didn't think my paintings were worthy, but I tried it anyway And
guess what, I won 1st place! Wow- couldn't believe it. I had gotten
validation from my fellow art teachers/artists. Then I began thinking, maybe
I'm not as "bad" as I thought I was!

My dream, although I really do love teaching art, is to just travel and
paint, paint, paint!
Susan on Long Island

---