Re: picasso light pen

---------

From: Mark Alexander (markcalexander_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Feb 11 2002 - 08:01:01 PST

 Yes, I know the photograph, but I can't remember who made it. This is how it was done:
You need a non-automatic exposure camera, the kind with shutter and aperature settings. Put the camera on a tripod, and set the shutter speed to "bulb" which is often marked with a 'b' or symbol of a lightbulb. Set the arerature to f 16 or f 22. Turn off all the lights. Have the subject move a light. Any light would do, such as a penlight flashlight or even a candle. Then open the shutter, leaving it open for as long as you wish (only the penlight is being exposed, the rest is in darkness). Then set off the flash (exposes the subject and surrounding environment) just before closing the shutter. I've donme this, and it's lots of fun.
Mark
  "Michelle H. Harrell" <michelle_h_harrell@hotmail.com> wrote: Hello fellow artsednetters!
One of my students found a photograph of Picasso in his Psychology book
where he's drawing in the air with a "faciful light-pen." Are any of you
familiar with this photograph or know what kind of light pen creates this
kind of effect? It looks likes he's drawing on glass but it's really air.
Very cool. Michelle