Re: Picasso Festival

---------

From: lindacharlie (lindacharlie_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Feb 10 2002 - 18:44:05 PST

Your picasso Festival sounds like a real treat, Susan. I have a couple of
favorite Picasso lessons for 2nd grade:

I always read the kids the Mike Venezia (sp?) book on Picasso which explains his
periods concisely. Then we do monochromatic paintings in either blue or rose
which express happy or sad feelings.

The other one is "crazy Picasso portraits" looking at examples of how Picasso
showed both the profile and frontal views in the same picture. We do a kind of
step-by-step pencil portrait emphasizing SHAPES and starting with an oval for
the head with a profile line going down the middle from top to bottom; one
frontal and one profile ey, eyebrows, a nostril; the lips end up both frontal
and profile automatically because of the center line; interesting shapes for
the cheeks; shapes for hair, hat, a hand if desired, and then the neck and
shoulders. the background is divided into shapes as well. Then the go over all
the lines with permanent black marker. Finally the color every shape a different
color - color hard and solid. This is one of those projects that the kids
remember forever...6th graders ask to do it again.

I usually follow this with a Matisse lesson and read them When Pigcasso Met
Mootise another "hit" with the kids.

I'll be very interested to see what other people come up with. I once saw the
most beautiful portrait in clay by Picasso and have wanted to try it (if only I
had the "round tuit."). Maybe someone can figure it out. It's kind of the same
idea as the profile/frontal view in the same work. If you rolled out a slab, cut
out a shape for the frontal head, then cut a profile down the center and then
attached the two slabs back together at sort of right angles so they could stand
up together...it's difficult to describe but maybe some of you have seen this
work and have it all figured out???

Linda in Michigan

---