Re: calling parents

---------

gregjuli_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Sun Feb 10 2002 - 15:41:45 PST

Patricia,
I love this idea!
In the past I have often called parents to tell them good things. It
was so funny to get their intial reaction , because most parents( me
included) are conditioned to think it is something negative. I guess it
is like when we are called to the principal's office without a
reason!-lol
For years with my middle school kids ,I used give what I call the "Good
News" notes. Every couple of classes some kids would get a good note to
take home. Parents really appreciated that little note. I guess I have
gotten away from that due to that old problem of time. But I love the
postcard idea and will try it!
Thanks
MaryB
PS- I have found that when I call a parent with a problem, I try to
follow up and call when there has been significant improvement.

Patricia Knott wrote:

> Seems so much of our time is spent with calling parents of the "not so
> good kids" and it is really depressing.
>
> Last summer, I bought a bunch of Museum postcards. At the beginning
> of school I had all my Advanced and AP students choose a card and put
> their address on it without telling them why.
> Now, when a good student does something wonderful, I send the
> postcard with a personal message.

---