Re: doing a demo at a table.....

---------

From: Bunki Kramer (bkramer_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Feb 10 2002 - 13:07:22 PST

Los Cerros Middle School
968 Blemer Road
Danville, CA 94526
>How do you get
> all the students around you at demonstration time... I have a couple of
> students that act as though its stupid to watch. I know they like to show
> off to their peers by not coming over.. And, if I can pull them over to the
> table they stand behind me and mug to the other students..?
>"Kathleen Shilson" <kshilson@unitelc.com>

 ********************

HI, again. When I call everyone over for a demo at a certain table, one or
two dally around (this happens with new rotations) but I don't wait ...I
start the demo. When they hear me talking, they race over. If they don't,
they lose out and I don't repeat the demo. It's that simple. If they have no
clue, they can't do the project and they flunk. That's THEIR choice. I don't
give them the control to disrupt or slow down my teaching. You might try
keeping one of your materials at the demo table so they HAVE to come to you
to get supplies...even after the demo...and they are the last people to get
a choice of supplies. Once they get the idea that EVENTUALLY they HAVE to
come to the demo table, you've made your point without saying a word.

As for standing behind me...I just announce that..."It makes me nervous if
someone's standing behind me". They know that I KNOW what happens...they
grin...and then they move away from my back.

Lately, during demos, I've been having trouble with one or two kids talking
to each other so I announced last week that they should make the effort to
NOT stand next to their best friend because if they do, they seem to want to
talk and miss the demo. It's worked so far. I'm guessing that if they know
that YOU are aware of what's going on and show your concern, they usually
follow through.

I TRY to keep all concerns out in the open with students...most times before
it occurs...so they know that I'm aware of possible problems. All they
really want to know is if you are savvy enough to handle or stop potential
problems, you've got the eyes in back of your head open, and if you have
follow-through with consequences for misbehavior....then we are on the
same-level playing field. Open-ness breeds better harmony.

Now...if you want to talk about PARENTAL problems, that's a WHOLE 'nother
can of worms! Toodles....Bunki

---