Olympics website

---------

From: Marcia Scurfield (mkscurfield_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Feb 10 2002 - 10:26:09 PST

Thanks Heather!

That is really a very comprehensive website, especially to research the design aspects (logo, mascots, poster, etc.) of the Olympic Games. To access the former games, click on the city names in the timeline which scrolls across the top. You can get the same information as the recent games.

Did you watch the opening ceremony? Talk about arts integration.

I am making my "game" as I watch the olympics on TV--so far I've spent three hours, with at least that much to go. I made photocopies (enlarged) of the pictograms (Judy Decker's websites) from the Salt Lake and Nagano games and then just four pictogram sets from Innsbruck, Sarajevo, Albertsville and Lillehammer. I'm mounting them on 3" construction paper squares (one color per city) and will laminate them. I was smart enough (this time!) to grid off the 12" X 18 " paper and will cut them apart after they are laminated. Since I have six tables in my art room, I made six sets. I want the students to sort the cards by style, sport (all the bobsled cards--how did different artists dipict "bobsled"), type of sport (skiing, skating, sledding) And I want them to make the connections with cattle brands, on which the Salt Lake City pictograms are based, and petroglyphs, on which the Lillehammer pictograms are based. We are then going to create a painting based on the graphic forms of the pictograms choosing some kind of theme, such as the bobsled pictograms from different games, or skating sports, or the cattle brand pictograms from Salt Lake.

Definitely a lot of preparation, but I hope the results will be worth it.

http://www.signweb.com/design/cont/olympicpictograms.html

http://www.shinmai.co.jp/oly-eng/alacarte/pictogram.htm

http://www.graphicnews.com/images/gnoly2000/gn5.htm

http://www.uen.org/2002/

I also have a useful book, Give Me A Sign: What Pictograms Tell Us Without Words, by Tiphaine Samoyault, Viking 1997 ISBN 0-670-87466-3

Marcia, Derby, KS