Karen:Art Teachers/Artists

---------

From: Trish Gorman (TrishGorman_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Feb 10 2002 - 06:11:43 PST

Karen-
Your message made me want to share this experience with you.
I was a social worker for 14 years, worked 50 hours/week. I left that 3 years ago to purse my education certification. At the time I left, I was making about 37k. Although I was able to take a nice vacation every couple of years and put money into renovating my house, I didn't feel like I had a lot of money.
Now I work maybe 3/4 time and go to school 1-2 courses a semester. I'm making less than 20k.
The amazing thing is--I make about half the money I used to, and I'm surviving. It has been quite an education to realize how little on actually needs to get by. There are no frills in my budget, but I have TIME. (Probably why I'm taking the slow road to certification.)
An important question is: how much is time worth? What is one willing to give up to have that?
It's funny how one's expenses seem to rise with one's income. Kind of like an addiction on how slow and subtle it is.
Just food for thought (or is that fertilizer for your dreams??)
Trish