Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: how to keep track of pencils

From: Woody Duncan (wduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Feb 09 2002 - 20:31:42 PST wrote:
> In a message dated 2/9/02 3:32:52 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> writes:
> << I buy #2 pencils for students to borrow and leave them on my desk.
> Each pencil has masking tape wrapped around it so the "honest" students
> will remember they borrowed them. The tape also also allows me to spot
> my pencils and pick them up as I move about the room. >>

I don't put the tape on the pencils. I have a student do that. In fact I
try to
have students do everything. The most work I do is trying to figure how to
get out of working. (Woody)
> Woody.....I sell very good pencils for 10 cents each which is really a
> bargain. These high school students in studio class have ONE requirement for
> supplies and that is to bring a pencil to class. I don't make any money and
> the kids think it's a fair exchange. This way they are always prepared for
> class.

Legally I don't believe I'm allowed to sell anything to students. Other
teachers do
but I have always tried to obey even the dumb laws. If I had permission
to sell
them I would be required to write a receipt for each one. I would also
need to turn
the money into my school treasurer every evening. Then I would have to
go through
the purchase order system to spend any of the funds. It's easier to buy
a gross of
pencils from time to time.
                                                                Woody in KC

                       To respond to me privately via E-mail