Re: Karen:Art Teachers/Artists

---------

From: Justin Kramer (justkramer_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Feb 09 2002 - 19:28:01 PST

There has just always been that twinkling in the back of my mind of what
if............what if, I spent so much of this energy that I use teaching,
and put it into my own work...I just wanted to see what others thought..

Karen's reply to this message was one that I related to greatly. I do see
myself as a part-time practicing artist and promote myself as such to the
students I teach. I aim for at least one - two exhibitions per year and have
had my work curated in international exhibitions. However, I don't see
myself solely as a full-time practicing artist. I really enjoy teaching -
yes there are days when you wonder what if (especially as my peers that I
studied with are now having a lot of exposure in artbooks and art journals)
.. and is this really what I want to be doing and a questioning of the
effort that you put in - however the job is highly rewarding and allows for
many opportunities.

For example, last year I did the research and applied to be realised from
teaching every Wednesday afternoon for a term to do work experience with one
the artists at the University. This I found was highly enriching and allowed
for a continued relationship with the University.

At present I am working with a regional gallery as a concept
developer/curator for a youth art exhibition.

I was trained as an artist first with a BA in Visual Arts, then I went on to
GRAD Dip. of Education and a few years back completed my MA in Art. Art will
also be a major part of my life - whether I am teaching or not.

Justin

---