Re: Art Teachers/Artists

---------

From: barb cicchelli (bcriverspirit_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Feb 09 2002 - 16:45:43 PST

 I am an artist/art teacher. Historically,almost all "Artists" had a day job-usually art related, but still a day job-ie printmaker-Winslow Homer, book illustrator-N.C. Wyeth, designer, art teacher-Haas, putting on art seminars, etc.-some job where they were still involved in making art but it was to someone elses tune-some day to day job that helped put the food on the table and in their spare time worked on their own art. Can't speak for the other fields but can say that artists almost always have a day job in a related field-ie a lot of my musician friends are carpenters by day-artists don't seem to be able to do this-I know I had a 5 year period when they cut art out of our curriculum and I taught classroom-and almost didn't survive it. I teach art now,still have 1 woman shows of my paintings-and actively create-it really helps my teaching too-the creative process and ensuing struggle within helps me relate with my students. I usually have to set some external goal to m!
aintain the momentum in my own work-right now I have a 2 woman show planned for May that forces me meet a deadline. I know that I am looking forward to mt retirement in June and having more time for my own work,but I have been an artist since I was born-Born to Paint and I guess Born to Teach-but above all I AM AN ARTIST. Barb
  Karen Chilman <ChilArt@peoplepc.com> wrote: I am currently researching for a masters course and am wondering how many art teachers really wanted to be artists; but for some reason (afraid of failure, didn't want to be a starving artist...)became teachers instead.Then, how do you think art teachers are different than say, math or science or language teachers. Did a high percentage of math teachers want to be mathematicians or science teachers, scientists......or language teachers, writers.....what are your thoughts...---