Re: enduring understanding

---------

From: Trish Gorman (TrishGorman_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Feb 09 2002 - 12:11:04 PST

M-
A little different twist, but..
The best experience I think my students have had is to see how much their "finished" work improved when they gave an "extra push" on their effort.
They are often so shocked at the quality of their "really, really finished"* creation. I see how they amaze themselves at what they have actually been capable of. And we always discuss that.
I hope that is an enduring understanding for them, whether it occurs in art or any other subject. It's just so easily, clearly obvious with art.
*(Sometimes we have "really finished" false stops--we have pantomime games of all sorts of kinds of "pushing" that we use. Always with humor and high sensitivity to each student's limits and boundaries.)