Karen:Art Teachers/Artists

---------

From: Trish Gorman (TrishGorman_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Feb 09 2002 - 10:57:34 PST

----- Original Message -----
Subject: Art Teachers/Artists

I am currently researching for a masters course and am wondering how many art teachers really wanted to be artists; but for some reason (afraid of failure, didn't want to be a starving artist...)became teachers instead.
Then, how do you think art teachers are different than say, math or science or language teachers. Did a high percentage of math teachers want to be mathematicians or science teachers, scientists......or language teachers, writers.....
what are your thoughts...

Karen--
I'm teaching art this year because they had one extra class and no one else would do it. I'm LOVING it.
And the guy I date--who is a real art teacher (and, yes, he wanted to be a self-supporting artist, but had to eat, too)--says I'm actually doing a really good job. (Thank god for you 'ednetters!)

I'm currently going to school for health certification. Because I'm loving it so much, I'm considering getting certified to teach art as well. (Health is rarely full time. Plus, my mother taught for many years and advised me to be able to teach two subjects. This way, when cut backs come, you can do two things and will be considered valuable--something to do with seniority and "bumping" as well.)

I'll bet multiple intelligences has something to do with being attracted to different subjects. I'm an Intrapersonal and Bodily Kinesthetic person. I love to explore/reflect on life and physically "do". I see art (and health--we're gonna do a lot of art!) involving a lot of both of these things. After the 9/11 attack we did a huge montage project on the state of the world and personal sources of hope. They were amazing.

I'll bet there are fewer Math-Logical, Lingistic, or Naturalist intelligences among art teachers.

Good luck on your research--great topic!
Trish

---