Regaining control when entering.....

---------

From: Bunki Kramer (bkramer_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Feb 09 2002 - 09:34:37 PST

Los Cerros Middle School
968 Blemer Road
Danville, CA 94526
>From: "Kathleen Shilson" <kshilson@unitelc.com>
> Ditto to this comment- Some students are beginning to act as if Art is just
> an extension of their recess. I teach at both levels -middle and High
> School. My 7th graders come rushing into my room like it is a gymnasium-
> takes about three minutes after the bell rings to settle them down... to me
> it is a total lack of respect.
I've had the same problem in mid. school in the past also. The answer
is....start your soothing music before they enter. Meet them at the door and
quiet them down one-by-one BEFORE they enter. When all are
seated...quietly...explain that this is a classroom TOO and you expect it to
be viewed as such. I don't think it's a "total lack of respect"...it's what
they've been allowed to do in the past so things have to change and hittin'
em with a two-by-four is not allowed anymore. There are ways to control this
problem creatively. Toodles....Bunki

---