Re: how to keep track of pencils

---------

From: danna fuller (dannafuller_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Feb 09 2002 - 15:27:33 PST

Greetings! I am a middle school art teacher. To keep track of pencils, I
bought a 2x4, cut it to my desired length, and drilled 36 holes (two rows of
18) slightly larger than the diameter of a pencil. (I have two boards, one
for 2B's and one for other drawing pencils, depending on the type of work we
are doing. The 2B board is always on a table next to my desk. I only bring
the other board out when we are doing something requiring that type of
pencil.) It is understood that at the end of each class period, holes in
the pencil holder must be filled with usable pencils, or no one leaves. I
can tell in a glance if all pencils have been returned. On rare occasions
when there was an empty hole or two, kids donated pencils to fill the holes
so they could go on to the next class. It works! We usually have extra
pencils added to the collection in the space between the two rows on the
board.

Danna