Re: acrylics and kilns

---------

From: Numo Jaeger & Michael Miller (jaegmil_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Feb 08 2002 - 20:09:48 PST

Tempera and acrylic are paints, they are not glazes. Perhaps your students
have used underglazes which look similar to tempera on a piece of ceramics.

I have fired tempera and acrylic painted pieces and some of the colors have
left a discoloration on the piece. This is undoubtedly because the paint
had some sort of oxide or mineral content in it. The problem with firing
acrylic paint on a piece would be toxic fumes from the firing. It's like
burning plastic. I have never directly applied a glaze over tempera or
acrylic painted piece. It sound intriguing but I have have reservations to
whether or not it actually does much.

-Numo

At 05:26 PM 2/7/02 -0800, you wrote:
>Hi all, can anyone tell me if I can paint a bisqued
>clay piece with tempera or acrylics, overglaze it, and
>fire it so it will be shiny and protected? My students
>swear up and down that they have seen it done. I've
>never tried, but it would be so awesome if it was
>possible. Is it?

---