RE: enduring understanding

---------

From: Larry Gross (LGross_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Feb 08 2002 - 15:52:36 PST

If Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, then pray tell... what is beauty?
Democratic license to say what you like or don't like does not define what
is beautiful. It only levels the aesthetic to the lowest of standards. Art
lives on a plane beyond the practical and therefore demands a higher
standard. Art lives longer than the present if it is art at all, and it
carries with it something numinous, something playful, something
inexpressible. And yet it is artifact. It tells us something of its time,
its culture, and it celebrates both the moment and timelessness. We who
create it will die, but art lives on...

> If you had only one month to teach ONE concept about art, what would it
be?
> What would you want your students to walk away with and to keep as part of
> their enduring understanding about the visual arts?

Art is NOT anything you want it to be. (If art is everything then it is also
nothing)
Art is a response to society, Art REQUIRES thinking and keen observation.
Art asks questions and demands a viewer response -- positive or negative.
Art requires form and participation
Being offensive is not necessarily being creative

ART has content and meaning
it is symbolic and metaphorical.

Art is communication

Patty