Re: enduring understanding

---------

From: Michelle H. Harrell (michelle_h_harrell_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Feb 08 2002 - 15:40:14 PST

It's funny you ask, I've had to ask myself the same thing for my NBPTS
portrait of teaching over time/entry one's overarching goal. It's tough to
identify what the big picture should be and why.

If I had only one month, I would focus on developing artistic perception:
To introduce students to new ways of expressing ideas, emotions and moods by
developing the perceptual skills involved in drawing that promote attention
to details and representational issues. It would benefit students who would
continue in art courses after Art I to possibly pursue a career in art as
well as the majority of other students who wouldn'tt. To erase I cant
draw from my students' daily conversation, I want to change their mindset
to focus on seeing rather than just drawing. Because many students regard
drawing ability as something youre naturally born with, it is difficult to
convince them it is a taught and developed skill that begins with the way we
see. I also sincerely believe that I see the world differently than
"normal" people do. I can stare at the blue and purple colors in the grassy
shade under a tree for so long people think I'm brain-dead. I feel that I
appreciate and feel life more seeing it through an artist's eyes.
Michelle Harrell

Marian Colman asked "If you had only one month to teach ONE concept about
art, what would it be? What would you want your students to walk away with
and to keep as part of their enduring understanding about the visual arts"