enduring understanding

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Feb 08 2002 - 14:11:40 PST

> If you had only one month to teach ONE concept about art, what would it be?
> What would you want your students to walk away with and to keep as part of
> their enduring understanding about the visual arts?

Art is NOT anything you want it to be. (If art is everything then it is also
nothing)
Art is a response to society, Art REQUIRES thinking and keen observation.
Art asks questions and demands a viewer response -- positive or negative.
Art requires form and participation
Being offensive is not necessarily being creative

ART has content and meaning
it is symbolic and metaphorical.

Art is communication

Patty