calling parents

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Feb 08 2002 - 13:25:42 PST

> In reference to feeling awful after dealing with a difficult child/parent
> phone call, I have made it a point to immediately call a couple of parents
> of my "good" kids.

Seems so much of our time is spent with calling parents of the "not so good
kids" and it is really depressing.

Last summer, I bought a bunch of Museum postcards. At the beginning of
school I had all my Advanced and AP students choose a card and put their
address on it without telling them why.
Now, when a good student does something wonderful, I send the postcard
with a personal message.

Piece of advice for the problem student.
BE the first to call home. If you get to the parent "with the story" before
the kid gets to the parent "with the story" it's likely your story will
win.

Patty

---