Re: enduring understanding

---------

From: JPeterson-Shea (jpeterso_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Feb 08 2002 - 10:15:10 PST

I do not know if it would be considered a concept but the one thing that I
would teach is that art is many different things. It is not just realistic
drawing or painting. I think that it is important to teach an appreciation and
tolerance of work that is not like our own. I have students who are unable to
"put themselves into another artists shoes" and say things like "that's
stupid" or " my baby brother could do better than that". Students need to
learn about WHY a specific style is what it is- was it influenced by culture,
adversity, a willingness to explore and be different....

Julie

Marian Colman wrote:

> If you had only one month to teach ONE concept about art, what would it be?
> What would you want your students to walk away with and to keep as part of
> their enduring understanding about the visual arts? It's a tough question
> but one that forces us to focus on what is most important in the work we do.
> I'm curious about your opinions.
> Marian

---