Re: art teacher certification

---------

From: Janice Keenan (jekteachme_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Feb 08 2002 - 09:09:30 PST

>I am now trying to get certified and am finding it
>rather difficult because my degree is in art... not
>art education.
  My undergrad degree was also in art..(at Ohio
State). I went back 10 years later and took 7 courses
to receive my certificaton in Art Ed for K - 12th at
Florida International University (FIU)in Miami. I
taught art in the public schools while I was doing
this. Here in Miami the average elementary classes in
public school range between 28 - 32 students. As far
as the pay..Florida varies alot..depending on where
you are located. I've been teaching 15 years in Miami,
have my Masters, and usually work summer school (which
brings your salary up) and I just passed the 50,000.
mark. I'm not sure where that stands on the national
average. Miami is the 4th largest school district in
the nation, has an great art program..the district is
very supportive of the arts (so is the community). But
Florida in general is going through a major
educational crisis with funds...this county even more
so. Due to some scandelous decisions made by
superintendent and school board the county is 84
million dollars in the hole. Everything is super
tight, we are even being asked to work 2 days for
free..figures we had nothing to do with the situation
this county is in and we have to pay for it. The union
is trying to fight it. Of course, ultimately, the kids
are the ones that will suffer from it the most.
  Jan in Miami