calling parents

---------

From: Foell, Marlyn_at_TeacherArtExchange (Marlyn_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Feb 08 2002 - 07:54:12 PST

In reference to feeling awful after dealing with a difficult child/parent
phone call, I have made it a point to immediately call a couple of parents
of my "good" kids. These parents usually don't get calls of any kind, good
or bad. It leaves me with a good feeling to tell a parent what a joy it is
to teach that child and how hard the student works on projects, etc. It's
something I do for me--leaves a better taste in my mouth and reminds me of
why I'm really here.

To have access to parent phone numbers easily, I make a phone log book the
first week of school. I give each student a sheet that has various info on
it, including e-mail addresses, work phone numbers for both parents, and
the names of the parents (a lot of re-married moms with a different last
name, moms who kept their own name, etc--puts you off on a bad foot if you
call them the wrong name.) The parent is to sign the paper and upon it's
return, it's worth a bonus grade. I almost always get them all. I keep
in a notebook by period and on the back of the sheet, I put dates and notes
on parent contact. Some schools have a particular way they want you to do
this, but mine leaves it up to us and this way works well for me.
Easy to grab the notebook to take home for weekend calls or to look up info
for a kid's art entry form, etc.

Marlyn Foell
Art Dept.
RHS--Contributing Excellence to Our Community

---