RE: Chinese New Year ideas

---------

From: Dokachev, Catherine (CDOKACHEV_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Feb 08 2002 - 04:47:08 PST

Good morning!
Every year I have my first graders celebrate Chinese New Year. We are
currently in the process of finishing up our horse masks. As you know, it's
the year of the horse so we are making horse masks that we can wear and
parade around to celebrate the new year. The first class we talk about
Chinese New Year, what it is, what year it is, what year it was last year,
etc. I pass out a little worksheet to help them figure out what year it was
when they were born and what year it was last year. The next class we go
into the project. We talked about the word symmetrical and what it means in
relation to a horse's head. Out of brown construction paper we cut out the
shape of a horse head. They bring it up to me to cut slits in the top to
staple it and make it three dimensional and to cut a strip from the scraps
to measure around their head and staple it on to make a mask. They do all
the rest including cutting out eyes, adding curly paper eyelashes if it's a
girl, hair at the top and in the back for a mane, cutting out nostrils and
gluing them on, cutting out ears and gluing them on, etc. We work for two
class periods. If they finish early I have Chinese New Year cards that I
printed out from Crayola.com that they're allowed to color and give to
someone they care about. It's not a very long lesson and the kids learn
something about an important holiday. A lot of the teachers in my schools
are busy the week of Chinese New Year with 100th day activities, Valentine's
Day, and the presidents' birthdays. I do this to help out and make sure it
gets covered.
-Cathy

WE've got some things going, but if any of you have
ideas or lesson plans for small, in-classroom activities,
or school-wide assembly ideas, I'd appreciate the
feedback--

---