Supply dilemma

---------

From: Ellen Silverman (mcguffsilver_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Feb 07 2002 - 14:12:23 PST

Dear Diane,
    There is no stronger respect for pencil, paper, and erasers then
that of an art teacher. Or, that is at least what I have found in my
experience in schools. I also watch my lowly soldiers of art supplies,
like the pencils and erasers, like a hawk. But still use is use and
those pencils and erasers go through alot, with those nervous little
fingers, normal wear and tear happens quickly. I keep close track of
what goes out and if the same amount comes back. They have to bring
their own supplies the next art period. This happens about once in a
school year and then the word gets out, "That there is a mad woman in
the art room." and the humor me. Keep to your guns, it is the principle
of the thing, the way they learn to treat a pencil or eraser in the art
room determines how they handle the more expensive and/or dangerous
supplies.

    I save special 'close to retirement' supplies for when the sub comes
to class. The rest is put away. This if it is a planned absence.
Otherwise I guess we just have to accept a loses, sigh.

Ellen Silverman

---