Sausage man drawing

---------

From: Marcia Scurfield (mkscurfield_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Feb 06 2002 - 20:02:21 PST

Called the sausage man, because the figure is composed of geometric shapes--mostly long ovals for the arms and legs--it is a way of learning proportion and movement in the figure.

The first class the students learn the proportions. Begin with an egg shape for the head. Most figures are 6-7 heads tall. I use a trapezoid for the upper body--1 1/2 heads tall, circle for the stomach and hip--1 head tall, legs--three heads tall, but divided into two long ovals (sausages) for the thigh and shin, feet. Arms join on at shoulders and if held against the body the wrist hits where the leg joins onto the hip- again divided into two long ovals for upper and lower arm. By manipulating these various parts and becoming aware of joints, students can create action figures. This can also be done with cut paper and make rubbings.

This would be so much more clear if I could draw it for you. Hope it makes some sense.

Marcia, Derby, KS

---