Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: inappropriate use of art supplies - elementary level

From: Janice Keenan (jekteachme_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Feb 06 2002 - 18:48:16 PST

My students (2nd through 5th) all are required to
bring their own pencils, erasers, notebook and
sketchbook, every time they come to art. I supply
everything else. If they forget their pencil they have
to give me something they value that they have...if
they have nothing to give...I ask for one shoe. At the
end of class they return the pencil and I give them
back what they gave me. It works great. It took about
a month for the kids to get the hang of it. Now, I
rarely have kids forget pencils/
sketchbooks..thats a different story. I keep crayons,
rulers and scissors in the supply bin on each table.
No glue...that was a problem. I only put out the glue
when we use it. I change the crayons only once a
grading period. Alot of kids bring in their own
crayons. I stress to the supply members at each table
(which we rotate every grading period) that their one
important job is to make sure crayons, rulers and
scissors are neatly back in the bin at the end of art
time. The table that does this and follows all the
other rules gets a small treat at the end of class.
This method seems to work pretty good.
  Jan in Miami

Do You Yahoo!?