15 minute photography lesson on light (to Tiffany)

---------

Janjarreau_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Wed Feb 06 2002 - 10:32:13 PST

Hey Tiffany,
       I am on the Art Ed digest so I am just responding directly to you,
plus I will send it to the list. The advice Mark Alexander sent was great!
Let me add to that a bit.

 I did a neat thing while teaching about color and it only takes a few
minutes or less. I talked about light first. I have the students focus on
something colorful in the room for example bright blue, orange or whatever.
I have them stare at it and ask them to tell me what color it is. Then I
turn off the light and ask them what color do they see now. It will be much
darker, probably gray. Now I ask them; did the color change? No, it is
still orange
(or whatever color), but we see it now as another color. This is what light
does to an object. If you ask them to close their eyes, they would see
black. WITHOUT LIGHT THERE IS NO COLOR.

I also would go into VALUES. (light or white, to black and all of the grays
in-between). Too much light is boring. The most striking photos I take are
the ones where I set up in our closet (it is big). It is very dark, then I
open the door a little to let some natural light in, then I shine a diffused
light on the subject. (throw a scarf over your lamp shade). This works for a
colorful still life as well as a black & white portrait. I did my daughters
engagement picture this way and saved a $50.00 sitting fee plus I had all of
the pictures and negatives!
Good luck.
Janice
P.S. I miss all of you.
In a message dated 2/6/02 12:05:09 PM Central Standard Time, Janjarreau
writes:
> [...]

---