Re: Pinholes

---------

From: Mark Alexander (markcalexander_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Feb 06 2002 - 05:49:33 PST

 My experience with pinhole photography has been all good. In all these years I have always had each student succeed in making at least one good print. We make cameras out of cigar boxes, big coffee cans, and other sturdy boxes and load them with black and white rc photo paper for the negative. I give them 1 1/2" to 2" square pieces of aluminum pie plate to make the holes, because brass stock is expensive. A neat and smooth pinhole is critical for sharpness, so we inspect them with a magnifying glass before use. There are many sites on the internet with specifications and helpful tips for making pinhole cameras and setting up a darkroom. Do a search. I'd use Google. I think it's important to remember that this is low-tech. Don't obsess on exact pinhole size to film plane ratios - just get close then experiment and have fun.

Mark