hex signs

---------

From: Ralph and Gretchen (schultz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Feb 06 2002 - 05:48:48 PST

Hex signs are not witchcraft - they're (or were) put on barns for good
luck with the crops, rain, fertility (both in the fields and at home),
marriage, etc. Plus, they're decorative! I was born and raised right
in the middle of PA Dutch country. Maybe the PA Dutch (who actually
were not Dutch, but Germanic) dialect caused the meaning of "hex" to be
distorted somehow. Actually, there are "good" hexes, too.
Gretchen Schultz (now in Missouri near the Amish)

---