Re: Inappropriate use of art supplies--elementary level

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Feb 05 2002 - 19:34:16 PST

Even after 8 years I still have this problem. Pencils disappear, glue
bottles get cut, scissors magically appear in student's desks, etc etc etc.
I got really disgusted with the entire situation - it is mainly 6th graders,
with a few 5ths to round things out. I now only pass out supplies that are
needed. If we are drawing with pencils then the only supplies they have in
front of them is paper and pencil. They bring their own pencil from class. I
rarely allow for erasing - we practice drawing an object several times and
they choose their best drawing for their final copy. When we are cutting and
gluing then I pick up supplies from each individual student, one by one. I
look over their glue bottle to make sure the top is cleaned off, lid closed,
no holes poked in bottle. I only have them for 25 minutes twice a week, but
it doesn't take long for them to really hate giving up 10 minutes of art
time to clean up. Stay tough and eventually it pays off! :-)
~Michal